.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; } .widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { float: center; } .widget.Profile { text-align: center; float: center; margin: auto; }


19 October 2013

German Chocolate Brownies




If you have not noticed, For the Love of Dessert, got a new look. What do you guys think? I really hope you like it because I am in love with it!

Warning, a sappy story is coming. Don't worry-- it'll make sense in a bit. This is the story of how the hubby and I met and began dating. The hubby and I met through friends. One of his college best friends was dating my co-worker (and later roommate). They each wanted their friends to meet their dates (you know the drill: meet your friends dates and see if they are "good enough"). When they drove to pick up the hubby, my friend realized that I lived in the same apartment complex (so weird, but the hubby and I lived down the hall from each other for a year, without even realizing it). That's when I met the hubby. We all then headed to a Tex-mex restaurant for dinner. The hubby and I talked for hours but afterwards we parted ways; and I did not think much of him after that. I was then invited for a BBQ at the hubby's place by his roommate. The hubby did not talk to me the whole night but then when I was about to leave he went to his room and brought out an origami frog for me to take home -- all I remember thinking was how odd he was :) Now, I know he was trying to be sweet and flirty ;)

Later, the hubby was invited to join me, my then roommate, his best friend, and another co-worker for a night of dancing. When I saw the hubby I remembered thinking how well he "cleaned up." I mean he looked hubba-hubba cute ;) I was smitten for sure! One thing you have to know about the hubby, one of his most endearing traits, is that he is not the most socially aware. Definitely not a guy who has "game." The next day I sent the hubby messages on Facebook mentioning how I was new in town and if he were ever free, I'd love for him to show me around....I got nothing. He would then talk to me on-line for hours...but never call. So then, I thought, I am a modern woman, right? So I hosted a Superbowl party (Steelers vs. the Cardinals). I am not into sports at all and I only invited the hubby. Thinking that this would be screaming obvious that I liked him. And to top it off (and the whole point of this ramble) I got him a German Chocolate Cake (he told me before that it was his favorite) -- to celebrate him passing his qualifying exams. We had a great evening together. But you know what happened? Nothing! I decided to give up because he clearly did not like me like that. Well one time, I mentioned that I would join him running but instead he asked if I could join him for dinner :) And ever since that moment, we've been together.

Okay that was long. But it was to introduce this recipe. I have not made German Chocolate for this blog yet. But German chocolate clearly holds a very special place in my heart :) This recipe is super easy, especially if you choose to make the brownie from a boxed mix, because then you would only need to make the frosting. Though even if you made the brownie from scratch, its still pretty simple. The hubby loved it! He said it tasted just like German Chocolate Cake which made my heart smile. And reminded me of when we were 22 and just met :) #memories #5yearsstrong







GERMAN CHOCOLATE BROWNIES 
Brownie adapted from Cully's Kitchen
German chocolate frosting from Pillsbury

INGREDIENTS

Preheat Oven to 350F Degrees

FOR THE BROWNIE LAYER*
1 c. flour
2/3 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 c.vegetable oil
2 1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs

*Can use boxed brownie mix if desired (for quicker, easier preparation)

FOR FROSTING
1 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. butter (8 tbsp.)
1 c. sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 c. flaked coconut
1 c. chopped peacans
1 tsp. vanilla

DIRECTIONS

For the Brownie Layer:
If using a boxed brownie mix -- follow package directions.

First line a 7x11 or 9x9 baking dish with aluminum foil. Grease aluminum foil with butter, shortening or cooking spray. This will help when removing bars from baking dish, allow for cooling, and easier, cleaner cutting into squares.

In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Sift content to remove any lumps. Set aside.

In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, combine vegetable oil, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Cream together until well blended. Slowly pour in dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 25-35 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean (bake time depends on how soft you want the brownie). Allow to cool slightly.

For the frosting:
In a saucepan, whisk together evaporated milk, butter, sugar and eggs over medium heat until mixture begins to boil and thickens. This may take 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla. Allow to cool completely (~30 minutes) to thicken. Spread frosting over brownies.

Wet knife with warm water for easiest cutting (to prevent frosting from sticking to knife).

Enjoy,
Chika

3 comments :

  1. These look amazing! My sister is a big German Chocolate fan. Can't wait to make these for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the frosting recipe, you say 1/2 c butter or 4 Tablespoons. A 1/2 c of butter is actually 8 tbsp. Can you clarify which is the correct amount? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! Sorry it took so long to respond, I took a break from blogging for a bit to handle some school stuff. I am not sure if this helps anymore, but it meant 1/2 c. or 8 tbsp. Thanks for pointing out that discrepancy! I don't know where my head was at! Yikes! And thanks for stopping by :) I promise next time I wont take forever to respond :)

      Delete

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink