.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; } .widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { float: center; } .widget.Profile { text-align: center; float: center; margin: auto; }


24 February 2013

Chocolate Fudge Cake



Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to "For the Love of Dessert"- Happy Birthday to you! :) Happy Birthday to my blog! This month marks For the Love of Dessert's first birthday. I cannot believe a year has flown by! And to be honest, when I started this blog, I had no idea that I would stick to it the way I have :) I thought I would have realized that I am not a blogger nor a person that should be posting about food! But instead, I have expanded beyond baking to sharing non-dessert recipes-- something I never thought I would be good at and most of all, grown as a "chef."

I have to say that I am proud of myself and this blog. I am truly blessed to have a little space on the internet- to share a piece of me :) A place that provides me solace and comfort, joy and excitement!  Thank you for being a part of it! I am so grateful for my sister for supporting me and pushing me to start this blog, when I thought I was the biggest dork ever for wanting to. And of course to my wonderful hubby--or as my blog should call him-- the dishwasher--patiently cleaning up after me :) That is one good blog husband and just one pretty awesome husband in general.

Well- here is to many, many more years of blogging-- I hope, ::fingers crossed::! And to celebrate the occasion, let us enjoy one of my favorites--Chocolate Fudge Cake! Mmmmmmm.....::drool::.....is pretty much all I can say! Was there really any other way I could celebrate For the Love of Dessert's First Birthday?!? This is an incredibly moist, super duper chocolatey cake! Decorated, as the hubby says, diner style!







CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
Chocolate Cake adapted from Paper Seed
Fudge Frosting adapted from Amanda and Kevin

INGREDIENTS

Preheat Oven to 350F Degrees

FOR THE CAKE
3 c. cake flour
2 1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. + 2 tbsp. Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
1 1/3 c. vegetable oil or canola oil
1 c. buttermilk (substitute with milk or heavy cream)
1 c. boiling water
1 c. sour cream
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

FOR THE FROSTING
2 c. milk chocolate chips + 1 tbsp. shortening
2 1/2 stick of butter
3 c. of powdered sugar
1 1/2 c. of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
1 c. of light corn syrup
2 tsp. of vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

For the cake: In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment-- combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and cocoa powder and stir on low speed until well blended. Then add vegetable oil and buttermilk- mixing for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add in boiling water and mix until batter becomes thin. Add in sour cream followed by eggs, one at a time--whisking until just incorporated. Finally add in vanilla. Divide among pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to completely cool before frosting- other the heat will melt the frosting.

For the frosting: Melt chocolate chips along with shortening, in the microwave-- stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted (you can also use chocolate melts if you do not have chocolate chips). Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine butter, powdered sugar and cocoa and process until smooth- do not over-mix the butter as, the frosting will become too runny. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add corn syrup and vanilla until creamy. Once the corn syrup is added, the frosting should become glossy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again, and add melted chocolate chips-- stirring, very briefly, until smooth.

Add heaping amount of frosting to the top and sides of the cake. Using a spatula, completely cover the cake with frosting. The using a small spoon, create whipping-up like motions to create swirls.

Enjoy,
Chika

44 comments :

  1. Congratulations! This cake looks amaaaazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen :) Hoe old is Cinnamon Freud going to be and when is the birthday?

      Delete
  2. I'm making this cake. What goes between the layers?

    from Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! Sorry to take so long to respond to you -- I took a break from blogging for awhile to handle some school stuff. I am not sure if this is still helpful but the frosting goes both in between the layers and on the outside :) I hop that helps! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Can I put fondant on top of the cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! Yes, you can put fondant on top of the cake. But if you still plan of filling the cake with the frosting -- you may want to cut the recipe in half (so you don't have a ton of left over). Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  4. Hello Chika

    I had made this cake for my sister-in-law's birthday. For some reason it came out quite dry. Not moist and soft as expected. What could be the reason?

    Even my husband found it quite dry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hash Cakes! Hmmm that is so odd! this cake has a ton of moist ingredients -- water, milk and sour cream to help it be a moist cake. The only thing I can think of is baking time? did you have to bake it longer? I am so sorry that you made this cake for someone's birthday and it came out dry! And I'm sorry I'm not too helpful at figuring out why. :(

      Delete
    2. I made this and it was super moist they all think i'm the fudge cake queen now :) thank you

      Delete
  5. Hi Chika,

    Made this cake. The batter turned out really awesome but my icing is dry and stiff :( Could it be because my butter wasn't in room temperature? It's not glossy nor spreadable at all! I'm so disappointed and sad :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! I am so sorry to hear your icing was dry and stiff..hmmm...Did you add the corn syrup? I would rec. maybe adding a little more...the corn syrup is what makes it a bit thinner and shiny. Please let me know how I can help! I am so sorry to hear you are disappointed and sad. The great thing though is that dry and stiff frosting can usually be fixed!

      Delete
  6. Hi Chika, can I substitute sour cream to whipping cream instead? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! Whipping cream has a different texture. You can try but it may through off the texture of the batter. Other have substituted sour cream with mayo as well...which has a more similar texture. Hope that helps :)

      Delete

  7. Hello, I write from Spain, love like seeing this recipe, I want to try to do, to say the measure put c. be cup? I weigh take 1 stick butter? I want to try, thank you very much, I wait your answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magnolia! Sorry, I must have missed this comment. C. means cup and 1 stick of butter is 1/2 c. (melted). Hope that helps!

      Delete
  8. Hi, I would like to know if i can substitute sour cream with milk or heavy cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Herin! You can substitute the sour cream with milk. It may make your batter more runny -- which may affect baking time. Another substitute for sour cream can also be mayonnaise :) thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Hey Chika! I am thinking about making this cake for my dad's birthday, but I was wondering if the sour cream gives the cake a weird taste - it just seems a bit different from what I'm used to. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You won't taste it at all! Sounds weird but totally helps! In fact some people add mayo! Crazy right?!? But they both work.

      Delete
  10. Hey there! Your cake looks soooo good that I want to bake it! But I have a question: Do I have to bake the layers separately or should I cut the cake in two parts when baking is finished? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie! I have had that same thought about cakes before and have tried it. My advice to you is don't try it ;) otherwise may have a magical way to it but what I have found is when trying to make one tall cake -- the outside gets crunch and burned while the inside is still liquid and the cook time will be much longer that expected with dry cake. Sounds like a lot of work baking them separately but well worth it. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. Hey Chika,

    Great cake! Looks so moist and delicious. I will be trying this today. Just wanted to know if there is a substitute for Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, as in, can I use another brand instead. Is there something I need to look for while I pick the cocoa powder. Also I do not have corn syrup handy, I can pick one up, but if there is a substitute for that in my kitchen I would rather use that. What could I use as a substitute for corn syrup. Also lastly, can I use unsalted butter instead of shortening. Thanks a ton for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Chika,

    Are the 3 cups of cake flour from a box cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to put box cake mix?

      Delete
    2. Hi Anonymous! Cake flour is a type of flour and looks very much like all purpose flour. It's does come in a box but the box is labeled cake flour and it is usually found in the same aisle as all purpose flour. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  13. Wowwwwww cake wirh chocolate cream fantastic to eat
    desserts

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I was wondering if you meant to put 2 1/2 cups of butter instead of 2 1/2 sticks of butter. The frosting is really thick after mixing the butter, powdered sugar, and cocoa. Just checking!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made this (yet), but 2 1/2 cups of butter would be 5 sticks, which seems like a LOT.

      Delete
  15. Hi. Can i substitute the baking soda with baking powder? Are they the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not the same, but if you're going to use baking powder you might not want to use buttermilk also (I'd imagine it would affect the flavor of your final product, since it uses the Hershey's special dark cocoa

      Delete
  16. hi.. can i use glucose syrup instead of corn syrup? tnx.. -Dada-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I may want to make this possibly tonight. Is it ok to use all purpose flour?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This cake is in the oven right now but it is taking much longer than 30-35 minutes to cook. I wonder if I should have divided it into more pans? I put it in one 9x13 and it filled higher than any other cake recipe I have.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What are the size of the Cake Pans.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG this cake is Fab didn't do the frosting used my own recipe but the cake is fantastic very moist .not to sweet perfect to layer Amazing Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds and looks amazing. thanks for sharing this. will be giving this recipe a go. Simon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Chika your cake looks amazing but my problem is that iam at SA and we don't have that thing called shortening what is it axactly please make me understand

    ReplyDelete
  23. DOM
    CHICKA CAN I USE THIS BATTER TO A CUPCAKE

    ReplyDelete
  24. DOM
    IF I COULD USE IT IN A CUPCAKE HOW LONG SHOULD I BAKE

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there. The instructions don't say what size pans to use.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, thank you for the recipe, I tried but without sour cream, it's sooo yummmy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi this is good to see that you are providing such great service and you giveing it for free. I love type of blogs that understand the value of providing a quality information. Thanks for sharing it very useful for Help Adya Free ad Posting Websites www.helpadya.com  

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think Chika has abandoned this blog - she hasn't replied to anyone in 2 years. Which is a shame because I hash some questions too being a Kiwi.

    ReplyDelete