.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; } .widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { float: center; } .widget.Profile { text-align: center; float: center; margin: auto; }


11 January 2013

Crispy Ritz Chicken


I am not sure if you can "add" to your New Year's Resolution but I am going to :) In addition to trying to stick to making quick and simple meals using little ingredients, I am also working hard to meal plan and post recipes that are "on a budget." It is always nice to have quick, easy, meals but also save a few pennies to save up for fun rainy days- for me that is our one year anniversary trip- I would LOVE to go to Thailand. Do not mind if I do...

Some fun facts about me that you may not know: My birthday is next Friday. I LOVE holidays and birthdays, especially mine. Well, I am also one lucky gal- because each year my sister and my hubby get me lots of wonderful things because I just get so excited. And to give credit to my sister- she has been spoiling me long before the hubby. You are correct- I am the luckiest little sister EVER! 

Also patient is not a good adjective to describe me. For the past week packages have been arriving at our apartment. I have grudgingly allowed the hubby to stack these packages away, knowing they are for me and not opening it! THE TORTURE! Today was the worst though- a HUGE package came and I am dying to know what is in there. And why I am extra antsy- I know the sweet hubby and amazing sister got things on my wishlist! But, man-oh-man, what things on my wish list did they get. The sister lives in Kansas City and the hubby's at work- wonder if they will know if I peek ;) 

For those of you who loved my Sour Creamy Chicken- you will love this too! Similar (yet different), very yummy and also served with cilantro rice....mmmmmm....Also I made the rice a bit differently this time.

Update: If you like this recipe check out Crispy Cheez-Itz Chicken!











CRISPY RITZ CHICKEN
Chicken and Sauce adapted from Jamie Cooks it Up!

INGREDIENTS

Preheat Oven to 350F Degrees

FOR CILANTRO RICE
1 1/2 c. of uncooked rice*
1/8 c. lime juice
2 tbsp. tried cilantro

FOR THE CHICKEN
3 chicken breasts
2 sleeves of Ritz crackers (I got the roasted veggie flavor)**
1/2 c. of buttermilk (can use regular milk)
2-2 1/2 c. of shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)***
Salt and Pepper to taste

FOR THE SAUCE
1-10oz can of cream of chicken**
3 tbsp. of sour cream
2 tbsp. butter

Dried cilantro for garnish

*Adjust rice amount according to how much you know you and your family will eat. I love rice so I always make more.
** Use any flavor that you prefer (i.e., regular Ritz Crackers or Cream of Mushroom)
*** Start out with 2 c. of cheese, but if you run out add more- no need to waste cheese :)


 DIRECTIONS

For the rice:
Combine 1 1/2 c. of uncooked rice-- my favorite are Jasmine or Basmati rice-- and 3 c. of water. Set rice cooker to cook. Once the rice cooks, in a large pot or bowl, mix together rice and lime juice together. Then add cilantro and toss together. Set aside.

For the Chicken:

There is a bit of set up first.  Grease a large baking tray with cooking spray, butter or shortening. In a food processor grind Ritz Crackers into fine crumbs, mix with salt and pepper to taste. Place the crumbs in a pan or shallow dish. In a bowl, pour the buttermilk. And in another dish, spread the shredded cheese. I set up my pans/dishes/trays in this order: milk bowl, then cheese dish, then crumbs, and finally baking tray. 

First dip the breasts into the milk. Then roll into shredded cheese- the cheese will not stick too great so use your hands to press in the cheese. Finally, cover with crumbs. Do not worry- the cheese will fall into the crumbs- that is okay! Place the breast onto the baking tray. Repeat for the remainder of chicken breast cutlets. Once all the cutlets are on the baking tray- sprinkle any non-covered areas with additional crumbs. Bake for 30-35 minutes until breasts are thoroughly cooked and center is no longer pink.


For the sauce: 

In  a small pot, over medium-high heat, bring cream of chicken, sour cream and butter to a boil. Remove from heat, whisk together and allow to cool.  Serve chicken breast on top a scoop of cilantro rice. Serve sauce over chicken. 

Okay- I know- this seems like a lot but this took me only about 30 minutes.


Update: If you like this recipe check out Crispy Cheez-Itz Chicken!





Enjoy,

Chika

63 comments :

  1. What temp do you cook the chicken at??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I cooked the temperature at 350F Degrees :)

      Delete
  2. do you need to cover this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Nope- you do not need to cover it! If you do the cracker crust might get soggy. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Can also put them in a gallon sized zip lock and roll with a rolling pin :)

      Delete
  3. I've made this before but I don't have a food processor so I just threw the crackers into a ziploc bag and mashed them with a hammer. :) Works just fine! Thanks for the good (yet very simple) idea on how to spruce up the rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily! That is a great idea if you do not have a food processor! And I am glad you like the twist on the rice :)

      Delete
  4. This was awesome! A little heavy with the cheese and sauce, but really great flavors. I added a little buttermilk to thin the sauce out and seasoned it with smoked paprika. I also shredded a block of cheese in the food processor and it stuck to the chicken pretty well - I think that made it finer and stickier than pre-shredded cheese. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the recipe and found your own little twist that worked :)

      Delete
  5. This is really good also if you use gouda (sp).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making this right now! Can't wait to eat it haha! Literally went straight to Publix once I saw this and now its almost done! Woohooo! I used mushroom soup because its all I had but added a chicken bouillon cube which tied it in better, also added parsley and basil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make Chicken Rellenos using this recipe. Drain two small cans of mild diced green chiles and place on the bottom of a pyrex dish, put a layer of mozzarella cheese on top of that then follow the recipes as stated above. I can't wait to make your rice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anonymous (1): mmmm....gouda...I love cheese

    Hi Anonymous (2): OOO fun. I love mushroom soup too! How did i turn out!?! Did you love it? :) I hope so!

    Hi Anonymous (3): Hi Anonymous! YUM! That sounds amazingly delicious! And I just might have to try that! It sounds just like something the hubby and I would eat up! Hope the rice turned out great! :)

    Thank you all for stopping by! My silly new blogger template won't let me reply to each of your comment so I hope its okay that I made one big one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huge hit at my house, everyone loved it! I will definitely be making this again. I thined the sauce down with milk and used fresh cilantro. That night my four year old didn't want to eat it, said he didn't like it but when dad ate the other half of his the next day he was right there eating it and was upset when it was gone--LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cooked mine on 375 degrees. I looooove this recipe! Soooo gooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anonymous! Yay! So glad you love it :) That made me smile! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do i dilute the soup with water?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anonymous! Nope! You do not dilute the condensed soup :) It'll get thinner when you heat it. :) Please let me know if you have any other questions! And thanks so much for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Making this right now!! Cannot wait to eat it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anonymous! EEEEk....how did it turn out!?!? did you love it?! I just made another chicken recipe, that is somewhat similar but equally as amazing if not better...I'll come back and repost here for you all to check it out! Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you have a great holiday break :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How long am I supposed to cook this for?????

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi Laurenelizabeth822! You bake it for 30-35 minutes (sorry if it was confusing to see. Just look under directions- for the chicken -- and you'll see bake time there). Please let me know if you have any other questions and thanks so much for stopping by! Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where do you get dried cilantro? I looked in the regular and the Mexican spice sections.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anonymous! I get my dried cilantro from Kroger. I have also see it at Walmart. I hope that helps! Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Approximately how many lbs of chicken?? 1.5?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kim! The weight can be anywhere between 1-1.5 lb. I would shoot for 1.5lb to get thicker cuts :) Hope that helped! And thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What times do you recommend if you use chicken tenders instead?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sarah! I have a cheez it chicken recipe that i need to post for you, where I used chicken tenders! It is amazing! For chicken tenders I would check them around 20 minutes to see if they are fully cooked (assuming these are normal thickness, rather then round and fat -- if that makes sense). Let me know if you have any questions! And thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really would love to try this tonight but all we have is bone in prok chops. Would you recommend this recipe with pork chops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taylor! I apologize for not writing sooner! I took a 5 month hiatus to address some school things. Im not sure sure how it would taste with pork chops. I think the coating would definitely work on pork chops but you would get a different, tougher texture. And the coating might not stick to the pork chops as well. Did you already try it? I would love to hear how it turned out :) Thank you for stopping by and I promise not to take FOREVER to respond next time.

      Delete
  25. Making this with my boyfriend as we speak! Can not wait to try it out!!! I've been begging to cook this for weeks now! My mouth is watering! Eeeekkk so excited to taste :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brittney! Sorry to take so long to reply! I took a little bit of a break from blogging to handle some school biz. :) Sooooooooo...HOW DID IT TURN OUT?! Did he love it? I really hope so. This is my most popular recipe by far and people (including me and my hubby) love it! Thanks so much for stopping by! And I hope you had a happy, full boyfriend!

      Delete
  26. Replies
    1. Hi Janet! Awww, you are so sweet! You are very welcome! I am just so glad you enjoyed the recipe :) Thanks so much for dropping a comment and stopping by! :)

      Delete
  27. I cut the chicken into bite size pieces! It is a better than those gross processed nuggets for kids! And I also soaked the chicken in milk overnight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous! Great idea! It actually sounds like these chicken nuggets I make: http://fortheloveofdessert.blogspot.com/2013/01/keshni-nuggets.html (check it out, I think you will like it). Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  28. Can you use fresh cilantro instead of dried?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Chika , Thanks for sharing this Girl! ;-) The Hubs loved it ! He likes sour cream a little more than I do so maybe next time I'll go lighter with that ingredient just for my liking , but over-all the meal was Deelish! And so simple, our daughter loved the fact that she got to smash crackers and NOT be in trouble! lol..
    Thanks again for sharing!~

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am thinking about using this recipe for a dinner party. How should I adjust the recipe for about 14 people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jordan! The current recipe makes 3 chicken breasts. I would assume each person would want 1/2 to 1 breast. So for 14 people I would 3x - 5x the recipe. Just depending how much you think each person would want to eat.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Ok, thanks. Im really excited about using this recipe. :)

      Delete
  31. This is the first time I have ever left a comment on a recipe.... It was delicious. I've made it a few more times. My family loves it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can you use boneless skinless chicken thighs?

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is one of our favorite recipes. I usually use Garlic Butter Ritz and colby jack cheese. Everything else I think I keep the same except I just cook white rice and for the sauce I tend to use less soup and more sour cream since I find the soup flavor to be so strong. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. “tried cilantro” (ingredient list) - LOL

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink