.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; } .widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { float: center; } .widget.Profile { text-align: center; float: center; margin: auto; }


31 January 2013

Tamale Cups



Did you miss me?! My birthday month is coming to a close :/ and I will have to wait another year to turn one more year younger ;) Hahaha..but really, my goal this week was to try to post every day, especially since I made and photographed all my recipes this weekend. Sadly, this week has been hectic and by the time I came home each day, I had just enough energy to eat and fall asleep. It was pathetic really-- probably a sign that I am getting old ;)

And I do have to say that I think I jinxed myself- I was eager to post about how well Ninja has been doing, only for the very next day for him to start limping :/ How sad! The hubby took him out walking the very next morning after my post- and he was hopping around and not using his back leg that had surgery! I have no idea what happened, but clearly I jumped the "gun" in posting about good news. I guess Ninja has more waiting before returning to the dog park then I had originally thought. Whose going to break the bad news to him? I say the hubby does it ;)

Okay-- so I think that I have made my love for Asian food and Mexican food quite apparent, but have been a bit biased in making Asian food and not so much Mexican or Hispanic food! Oh the dilemma's I face each day-- this would nicely fit into those hash tag phrases of #firstworldproblems or maybe even #imaddictedtomykitchen :) As I always say, not the worst problem to have. Today's recipe marks a turning point, not in life but in my belly :) haha..I am on a roll right?! I decided to make these adorable Tamale cups that I saw on Pinterest. They not only look adorable but they taste pretty awesome if you love Tamales. They do not exactly taste like Tamales but close enough to be appreciated and yummy enough to be loved :)







TAMALE CUPS
Adapted from Mrs. Happy Homemaker

INGREDIENTS

Preheat Oven to 350F Degrees

FOR THE TAMALE CUPS
2 c. corn flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. taco seasoning
1 1/3 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. melted shortening (Crisco)

FOR THE MEAT FILLING
2- 2 1/2 c. of shredded chicken*
1 tbsp. olive oil
2/3 c. onion (or one small onion, diced)
2 tbsp. garlic
1 (8oz.) can of tomato paste
1/2 pack of taco seasoning
Few splashes of hot sauce

FOR THE GARNISH (Optional)
Cilantro
Sour Cream

*I always shred my chicken by cooking it in the crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours and shred using a fork-- so easy!

DIRECTIONS

For the tamale cups: combine corn flour, baking powder, salt and taco seasoning. Then add chicken broth and mix until the flour reaches a crumbly consistency. Pour in the melted shortening and mix by hand until smooth. Coat cupcake pan with cooking spray. Roll the flour mixture into golf ball size balls. You can shape the cups two ways:
  1. placing the ball in the cupcake well and using your fingers to press the ball to line the inside of the cup to form a "cup shape"
  2. they way I did it: using a spice or seasoning bottle with the lid the same size as the base of the cupcake well-- take the dough and shape it around the lid of the bottle. Then turning the bottle upside down push the dough into the cupcake well. This will create a firm flat tamale cup base the same size the the bottom of the cupcake well. Then using your fingers slowly separate the dough away from the side of the spice bottle lid and spread out to line the cupcake well. This is a lot easier than it sounds and worked great for me. It also give you great shaped cups.

Be careful though- the cups are very delicate!

For the filling: heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until onions are translucent and garlic is browned. Add in shredded chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes. Next, stir in the tomato paste and taco seasoning. Finally mix in as much hot sauce as desired, depending on your "spiciness" preference.

Fill each tamale cup full with shredded chicken. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow the table cups to cook for 5-10 minutes. Top with sour cream and garnish with cilantro leaf.

Enjoy,
Chika

2 comments :

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink