.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; } .widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { float: center; } .widget.Profile { text-align: center; float: center; margin: auto; }


26 December 2015

Poor Man's Stew




I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday break. The hubby and I have been thoroughly enjoying our Christmas stay-cation. Do not get me wrong, it's always wonderful to be around family this time of year. But sometimes there is something so gratifying about staying put and having a cozy Christmas with your hubby and fur baby. I've realized having a Christmas stay-cation has other perks: 
  1. Instead of hemorrhaging money you end up saving money, or at least spending all the money on things for you! :) 
  2. Instead of stressing over what presents to put under the tree and what to stuff the stockings with ... you get to sleep in and binge watch Netflix and Hulu (fyi: Hulu now has a commercial free option #winning) 
  3. And best of all ... all those Christmas goodies that you make to share, you now get to eat all of it
I would love to say that I get to be lazy and do that ever glorious NOTHING this entire break, but sadly, I have postdoctoral applications to submit. I'll explain since this is a complicated field. After completing 5 years at my doctoral program, I had to apply and match to an internship. After I finish this internship in June, I am officially a "doctor." Although I would like to become a professor, to increase my "marketability," I want to get my license. Which means, postdoctoral supervised hours. Yes ... that basically means more school ... or shall I say "training." Translation: more applications. I would love to stay where I am. I am super happy here. Happier than I've ever been at any other place. But if I cannot stay here, I have decided to only apply in California. It may just be time to go home #homesweethome. I'll find out in Febuary/March.

To welcome winter and accept this cooler weather, I wanted to share this delicious and easy to make crockpot stew recipe. A stew to dump into the Crockpot while your at work and to enjoy while wearing fuzzy toe socks, cuddled up on the couch under a soft throw all while binging on TV. This stew does thicken if refrigerated overnight (and with just the hubby and I, this recipe fed us for days). I like thick stews, so I was fine with it. For the hubby, I thinned it out with some broth. So feel free to do what works best for you :) 





POOR MAN'S STEW
Adapted slightly from The Magical Slow Cooker 

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1 onion diced (1 c. frozen diced onion)
1 lb ground meat (I use ground turkey)
6 oz. can of tomato paste
2.5 c. vegetable broth or chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1.5 - 2 lbs diced red potatoes 
2 c. baby carrots (cut in half)

DIRECTIONS

In a large wok or skillet heat oil over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion until fragrant and onions are translucent. Add in ground meat and cook till browned. While ground meat is cooking, in a medium bowl whisk together tomato paste, broth, salt and pepper. Combine ground meat, potatoes, carrots and sauce in Crockpot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

Note: If you would like a more "soupy" texture, add in more broth. 

Enjoy,


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink